Discover How to Implement, Manage and Monitor an Effective Commissioning Strategy in Your Organisation.
Commissioner is a groundbreaking 3 day workshop for Senior Managers and Directors who want to improve their ability to deliver the best outcomes from every pound invested.
Are you ready to meet your obligations as laid out in the Health and Social Care Bill (2011)? As you know the responsibility for the commissioning of health and care services is now your responsibility and you will be held to account by an independent NHS Commissioning Board for the performance of your Commissioning services.
The stakes are high and Commissioner was developed to inject much needed expertise into Primary Care Trusts and the Public Sector, to give you the tools to transform your Commissioning services in line with the new commissioning landscape.
As an NHS Director you play a key role in modernising the way you deliver health services as well as securing the best possible outcomes for your patients.
In a nutshell Commissioner gives you the latest knowledge and tools to optimise your health investment and disinvestment decisions.
What will I get out of the programme?
After you complete this programme you will be able to apply your experiences to day-to-day activities that improve your performance and consequently transform the way you commission services within your organisation.
In addition you will have kick started the process to gradually elevating your commissioning skills and that of your organisation to a world class level. You also gain the technical skills to integrate performance management into your commissioning framework.
In essence you will:
- Become good at designing performance management structures and frameworks
- Discover how to craft performance measures that reveal hidden insights
- Know how to implement a performance management strategy that drives health outcomes
- Learn how to use performance measures to make sound strategic decisions
- Uncover how to build transparency into your performance reporting systems
- Improve performance through the correct allocation of resources across your operations
- Negotiate performance objectives across departments and services
- Improve your approach to commissioning
- Gain more confidence to lead the agenda across your organisation and influence your peers in alignment with your Commissioning goals.
What is the programme about?
We have looked all over the UK to see what help is available to practitioners to fulfil their new responsibilities. To our knowledge Commissioner is the only management simulation course in the world to help you work through the thorny issues of measuring and managing the performance of public sector services. It’s as close to the real world as it gets without anyone getting hurt.
In the simulation, you are part of a management team who manages a mental health service. Now picture the scene where you have school absentee rates climbing and adolescent suicide rates rising on your watch! Do you have the expertise and insights to turn this round? How will you make a difference with a constrained budget? Or will you just be sucked down by the system?
Commissioner helps you work out and implement strategies to help you achieve your goals.
- Set goals and targets and see what happens
- Decide what to measure and why
- Use performance measurement information to decide on your priorities and allocate resources
- Gain a holistic view by measuring performance across services
- Run a personnel performance appraisal system for different players in your simulation
- Understand that you will see at firsthand the impact your decisions have made on the tax payer, your organisation and the public at large.
Be prepared to:
- Have fun
- Be surprised by the consequences of your actions
- Make 'life or death decisions'
- Confront the consequences of your own actions in a live but risk free environment
- Experiment with different management approaches to commissioning
- Learn through doing.
Who is the programme for?
Public Sector staff involved in commissioning up to and including director and CXO level.
Professor Mike Bourne